Riverside Junior School
After their time at Stubbings, most children take up a Year 3 place at Riverside Junior School. We work closely with Riverside to ensure that the children's transition into Year 3 is a positive experience.
Our transition arrangements begin in the Autumn term with an opportunity for the Year 2 children to visit Riverside for a festive singalong in December.
From the Spring term onward, a number of transition activities area planned aimed at familiarising the children with the school, staff and children so that they feel confident and settle easily when they start Year 3 in September.
- Autumn 2 – Festive singalong
- Spring 1 – Senior leaders visit our school for an assembly about Riverside
- Spring 1 & 2 – Y2’s visit Riverside for playtime
- Summer 1 – Y2 Assembly at Riverside followed by a tour of the school
- Summer 2– Y3 teachers visit the Y2 classes and lead an activity
- Summer 2 – Y2’s spend a morning at Riverside in their Y3 class
- Summer 2 – Open night for Y2 families at Riverside
Early in the summer term, the SENCO’s from each school will meet and plan additional transitional arrangements for children with special educational needs. Staff will also identify any other children that require additional support with transition. This will be discussed with families.
The Year 2 and Year 3 teachers will meet at the end of the summer term for a handover discussion about the children’s learning, needs and interests.
For more information about Riverside, or to arrange a visit, please visit